Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Preface

Welcome wayward web-surfer!

My name is Charlie and I will be Your Humble Reviewer.

I've decided to repurpose this otherwise neglected blog to host my reviews of books (and perhaps films) with the intent that everyone should hold my opinions in the great esteem that I do. I cannot promise frequent posts - real-life jobs and the actual reading of books preclude this - but, I will strive to produce good reviews for your perusing pleasure. I will also strive not to sound like a corporate mission statement in which words like 'strive' are used.

My initial offering of reviews will be copied from LibraryThing.com, the social cataloguing site for lovers of the written word. All are my own reviews and can be found by following my site profile: http://www.librarything.com/profile/ExVivre. The number of reviews listed are only a fraction of the books I've read, and a smaller fraction of those I own, but I am happy take requests from my personal catalogue.

Reviews from advanced reader copies (ARCs) will be noted as such, as will books received directly from publishers or other sources. Only the content of a book factors into my reviews, but I provide this information to address possible ethical concerns regarding free books and reviewing.

Some background information: I'm a 30-year-old nerd with a BA in Philosophy and Film Studies, and currently working in hospital-based pharmacy. My reading interests are varied, but tend towards philosophy, the sciences, art, and history (particularly the medieval period and Renaissance, with emphasis on the arts, religion, and sciences). I'm nurturing a growing interesting in fiction with a preference towards twisting plots and mystery (in the broadest sense of the word).

No comments: